The Christmas came early this year for Adguard for Mac users - a new version comes out today :) It significantly improves ad blocking, namely introducing Extended CSS support and several new modifiers. Networking and UI have undergone some fixing and tweaking too, so Adguard will become more stable and easy in use.
- [Added] Extended CSS support #109, #120
This is a very important addition in terms of future (and present) possibilities that it opens for ad blocking. Extended CSS is a module for applying CSS styles with extended selection properties. Basically, it means that we will be able to select and, therefore, block some elements that we would not be able to block otherwise. Notably, this concerns such things as 'Sponsored posts' on Facebook.
- [Added] $important modifier #132
This new addition is an significant one, but mostly relevant for creators of custom filter rules. With it's help you can give certain rules higher priority.
- [Added] $websocket modifier #131
- [Changed] Updated default HTTPS exclusions list #124
- [Fixed] $empty modifier behaviour #108, #143
- [Fixed] Latin extended symbol in a filter rule interferes with filtering #134
- [Fixed] $replace rule can't be applied along with the other rules #133
- [Changed] HTTPS is now used for safebrowsing requests #148
- [Changed] WoSign and StartCom certificates are now distrusted #141
- [Changed] New separate server is used now for filter updates #139
- [Fixed] $replace rules break content charset #147
- [Fixed] Adguard compatibility with Opera built-in VPN #123, #130
- [Fixed] Kernel panic issue #106
- [Fixed] Adguard blocks the page from loading if /etc/hosts has incorrect records #111
- [Fixed] Inability to apply inline style #142
- [Fixed] Excessive CPU load #135
- [Fixed] Safebrowsing check algorithm #148
- [Fixed] Unknown pseudo class error #154
- [Improved] Content injection algorithm #119
- [Improved] Adguard styles are now protected from removal #149
- [Added] Hotkeys for filters management #9, #128
- [Changed] CMD+Backspace key combination can now be used to delete filters from the filter list #9
- [Changed] "Check filter updates" action moved to settings menu #116
- [Fixed] Incorrect filter is displayed in "Filtering Log" #129
- [Fixed] $replace rules are displayed correctly in the filtering log #150
- [Improved] Allowed pasting mulitple rules at once in filter area #126
Hello! Last Adguard for Mac version was released in February, so we felt a bit guilty and decided to release a new one :) There is quite a bit of various fixes and changes here, as you can see in the changelog below, but the most important, or rather the most impactful ones, are those that affect performance - specifically, we mean #88 and #91 (you can find more detailed description for these changes below). Overall, Adguard will become faster now, and thanks to the better performance, Adguard will now consume significantly less battery resourse. But not only that, for example, we drastically improved browsing of some of the most problematic websites when IPv6 is enabled (#93).
[Improved] Basic filtering rules processing speed was optimized #91
Optimizing basic filtering rules processing is very important since basic rules are the most resourse-consuming among all. This change will result in Adguard working faster and spending less resourses.
- [Changed] $replace rules now have higher priority than other basic rules #49
- [Changed] Origin is used as Referer for requests Referer isn't defined for #84
- [Fixed] Adguard crash because of huge data: URLs #81
- [Fixed] Adguard does not ignore "base" tag "href " attribute while constructing absolute URL any more #80
- [Fixed] Websites can't be broken any more because of invalid HTML inside a "noscript" tag #79
- [Fixed] Error previously occuring when parsing a style tag with embedded svg #76
- [Fixed] Adguard can now detect HTML if there is an xml declaration at the document start #83
- [Fixed] Wrong HTML content detection #71
- [Fixed] twitch.tv filtering issue #105
- [Improved] Increase content filtering rules maximum length limit #101
[Changed] Connections are not kept alive for too long now if 'HTTP keep alive' timeout is specified #88
Previously the 'keep-alive' time for connections was higher, and Adguard consumed more battery resourse than it should. Now, when we lowered the connections 'keep-alive' time, the resourse consumption during the 'idle time' will be significantly lower as well.
- [Changed] Webdav methods are supported now (specifically REPORT) #85
- [Changed] Rewritten mechanism of checking the websites availability #93
- [Fixed] After blocking a POST request, next request is read only when data was read to end #68
- [Fixed] Adguard prevents UDP traffic on 443 port #90
- [Fixed] Adguard fails to detect HTML on some websites #100
[Added] A notification that is shown if user unchecks the "Filter https protocol" box #65
Languages and Translations
[Added] Finnish language #63
- [Added] Support for complex language codes #78
- [Changed] Increase idle connection timeout to 10 minutes #102
- [Fixed] Problem with Adguard start after motherboard replacement #77
- [Fixed] Wrong information in Adguard's filtering log #75
- [Fixed] Added description of the status code in filtered HTTP response #74
- [Fixed] Spelling issue #73
- [Fixed] Occasional app crash when user attempts to view Adguard Program Log #66
- [Fixed] Apps crash #67
- [Fixed] Adguards code is no more injected into noscript tag #64
- [Fixed] Major battery resourse consumption on Mac #52
This new version brings a lot of very important changes to Adguard for Mac. Most viable changes are: $replace modifier and security improvements.
- [Added] New localizations: Serbian (Latin), German, Italian, Spanish, Chinese Traditional, Armenian, Turkish, Korean, Indonesian, Hungarian. #50
- [Added] User warnings in case HTTP proxy mode fails to start. #22
- [Changed] Assistant requests are now excluded from 'Filtering log'. #4
- [Changed] Now clicking on Adguard icon in status bar brings opened Adguard windows to front and makes them active. #33
- [Fixed] Error previously led to inability to change HTTP proxy port with HTTP proxy mode enabled. #42
- [Fixed] Lack of explanation text in the 'Enter email address' text field. #44
- [Added] $genericblock rule modifier. #16
- [Added] $generichide rule modifier. #15
- [Added] $replace modifier for basic rules #38
- [Changed] Now $popup rules modifier is also applied to server redirect responses. #49
- [Changed] Now status 500 is always returned for blocked requests. #35
- [Changed] User filter is now loaded last, after all other filters are loaded. #41
- [Fixed] Error in css-inject rules. #7
- [Fixed] Error in finding the elements path on a page for HTML filtering rules. #17
- [Fixed] Error in HTML filtering rules – previously empty elements were never removed. #29
- [Fixed] Improved processing of rules with $popup modifier. #25
- [Fixed] Modifiers for the whitelist rules now work while filtering content. #57
- [Fixed] Now $elemhide rule modifier is applied only to HTML pages. #14
- [Fixed] Problem with basic rules being treated as rules with $popup modifier. #34
- [Fixed] Template modifier * in rules now takes into account line break symbols. #40
- [Fixed] Third-party requests filtering error. #6
- [Changed] Adguard automatically stops filtering of the websites with client certificate authorization. #2
- [Changed] Browser cache is now suppressed for a short period of time after filtering startup. #53
- [Changed] For all modern browsers SHA1 certificates were deprecated. #46
- [Changed] Port Adguard accepts connections on. #5
- [Changed] Updated default list of SSL exceptions. #3
- [Fixed] Problem when Adguard caused browser to freeze. #37
- [Changed] A method of domain check with Browsing Security module. Requests privacy was improved. #8
- [Improved] Compatibility with sites that use the Content-Security-Policy mechanism. #58
- [Fixed] Blocking of Google Chrome Rapportive extension for Gmail. #30
- [Fixed] Problem when Adguard extension for Google Chrome couldn't see triggered $genericblock rules. Integration mode works correctly now. #39
- [Fixed] Safari inability to connect to some websites with IPv6 network configuration. #10
- Added function to send a report in case of an unexpected Adguard shutdown.
- Added tutorial screen at Adguard first launch.
- Added OCSP Stapling support.
- Added localizations: Chinese (Simplified), Polish, Portuguese (Brazil), Slovak, Korean.
- Changed SSL connections encrypting mode to a more modern one.
- Improved root certificate and private key generation for SSL connections.
- Fixed Logjam vulnerability (now Adguard doesn't filter connections with weak keys).
- Improved mechanism of SSL connections processing.
- Significantly extended list of browsers filtered by default.
- Now, in case of its absence, Adguard automatically suggests to install root certificate into Firefox to filter HTTPS-websites.
- Improved way of root certificate installation into Mozilla-based browsers.
- Improved security of installing Adguard Assistant to web pages.
- Improved Adguard API extensions security.
- Confined access to userscripts API functions.
- Reworked installation process, now Adguard will work correctly after restoring Mac from Time Machine.
- Improved filtering rules correctness verification.
- Now Adguard system components are stored in the folder shared for all users.
- Now upon switching Mac to sleep mode, Adguard closes current network connections.
- Fixed situation when Adguard won't respond to users actions while watching a video on YouTube.
- Fixed error previously led to Adguard crash while surfing a website with incorrect HTML.
- Fixed an error previously led to rules with specific symbols being excluded from filtering process.
- Fixed an error previously led to shutdown when exiting Adguard.
- Added TLSv1.2 support.
- Added certificate verification in HTTPS connections.
- Added Ukrainian localization.
- Chromium added to default application filtering list.
- Now automatic check for updates is enabled by default.
- Improved speed optimization.
- Removed splashscreen upon starting Adguard.
- Fixed Adguard's work with several users on the same computer.
- Fixed errors leading to incorrect filtering.
- Fixed the error when Adguard operated incorrectly upon exiting sleep mode.
- Improved security upon filtering encrypted traffic.
- Fixed FREAK vulnerability.
- Fixed memory leaks.
- Improved program stability on old versions of OS X.
- Fixed several errors that could previously lead to app crash.
Adguard (com.adguard.adguard) is a Mac software application that has been discovered and submitted by users of Software.com.
The latest version that our users have reported running on their systems is Adguard 372. The most popular version of this application used by our users is Adguard 139.
Operating System: Mac
Minimum OS version: 10.7
Copyright: Copyright (c) 2014 Performix. All rights reserved.