- Chartboost SDK updated to 6.6.0
- Revmob SDK updated to 9.2.3
- One of the libraries that we no longer use was removed which may result in a very minor load time benefit for Android
Note: If you are on Mac OS X Sierra, you can grab the update from here: http://gamesalad.com/download/releases
Chartboost SDK updated to 6.5.1
- Removing attributes is now possible again
- 1706 – Fixed the general slowdown issue that was brought on by the new Mac OS X update (10.11.5)
- Fix for AdMob crash when there’s a network available but the device can’t access it
- Partially fixed the slow opening of large actors. People with huge actors will still be plagued by this issue for a little while
- Updated Chartboost sdk to 6.4.2
- Updated AdMob sdk to 7.8.0
- Updated RevMob sdk to 9.1.0
- 1681 – Live Preview causes flashing of images on scene
IMPORTANT: RevMob was having an issue that was causing apps to get removed from the store. This new version of their sdk fixes this issue, so if your app uses RevMob, you will need to publish an update.
- Custom fonts – You can now import fonts the same way you import audio and image files. Your imported fonts will show up in the Display Text font list. Old system fonts have been replaced by new ones that we supply. We will replace references to old fonts with our new ones, but you should check any actors that display text to make sure they look ok in your game.
- Video Reward ads – We now support Chartboost and RevMob video reward ads.
- Tapdaq – We now support the use of Tapdaq
- Improved random number generator. Uses a better algorithm than the previous one.
- New game attribute: Random Seed. For a given seed, a sequence of random numbers will be the same. Leave this attribute at -1 to make the seed random.
- Updated to AdMob iOS SDK version 7.7.0
- Updated to RevMob SDK version 9.0.8
- Updated to Chartboost SDK version 6.4.0
- Removed some old 3rd party plugins that are no longer being used to reduce app sizes
New motion and physics attributes:
- Pin – Set at an actor’s Center of Mass, this allows the actor to rotate but not to move (with the exception of the actor colliding with a non-moveable actor, in which case it will move, but try to remain as close to the pin point as possible).
- Can Sleep – This removes the actor from physics calculations if nothing is happening to it.
- Better Collisions: results in more accurate collisions, at the expense of more computation power. Check this box if you see your actors interpenetrating or moving through each other when they shouldn’t.
- New behavior: Quit Game. Exits your game. Mainly used for Android to simulate the player hitting the “back” device button. Does nothing on iOS devices.
New loop behavior option:
- Max loops/frame – Normally, a loop will only run its behaviors once per frame. This allows you to set how many times the loop can run per frame. Be careful not to run loops too often per frame, as you can prevent other behaviors from running. What the best value is will depend on your game.
New animation behavior option:
- You can give the animate behavior an integer attribute which will contain the current animation frame being displayed. This attribute is optional, and you can leave it blank if you don’t want that information.
- Mac Creator: if a rule has behaviors in the “otherwise” section, the word “otherwise” will be bolded.
New features added to HTML5 and Arcade:
- Custom collision shapes should now work for HTML5 / Arcade games
- Music and sound files are now listed alphabetically when being selected from the list provided on a play music / play sound behavior
- 1658 – The list of sounds and music in the PlaySound and PlayMusic behaviors is now sorted alphabetically.
- 1636 – The angular velocity attribute is stored as degrees rather than radians.
- 1621 – If an actor is set to tile and the tile width or height is 0 it could cause visual issues or a crash in preview, in the viewer, or * on a device.In this case the tile width/height are reset to the actor width/height when the project is loaded for preview, the viewer, or on a device so the user can see the issue and correct it in their project.
- 1602 – Display text not updating when table cell value changes
- 1499 – (Windows) Pressing reset button in native preview doesn’t reset game attributes
- 1618 – Chartboost ads need to be set as portrait and landscape to show up
- 1434 – AdMob banners display on all scenes once called
- 1363 – RevMob banners, when tapped, cause iOS apps to freeze upon returning
- 1242 – Free Trial accounts do not have Enable Advertisement checkboxes for Reset Scene and Reset Game
- 462 – Game Center alert in the viewer is off alignment in iOS8&9 making game unplayable
- 599 – ChartBoost ads do not pause app
- 1666 – The function “textReplaceAll” is spelled incorrectly on the Windows version
- 1600 – Random stuttering
- 1545 – self.Time does not count properly
- We noticed that larger GameSalad projects won’t successfully load on the iOS Viewer. This is due to the devices closing the project since they think it’s an inactive app if it loads for more than 10 seconds. To work around this issue you can ad hoc test your game or manually install the iOS Viewer and run it through Xcode, as it will not close under those conditions.
- Custom collision shapes and various other new features may not work as intended for HTML5 games. We are working on fixes and will patch these issues when we have fixes available.
Mac Creator 1.24.42 Fixes:
- Games that have tags with no name will now open correctly
Windows Creator 1.24.5854 Fixes:
Engine 1.24 Fixes:
- Fixed another issue with center of mass
- Saving and loading boolean attributes works again
- The random function works correctly again
Mac Creator 1.24.41 Fixes:
Windows Creator 1.24.5854 Fixes:
Engine 1.24 Fixes:
- Fixed the issue with center of mass and collisions
- Updated AdMob, RevMob, and Chartboost sdk’s
- Slight rework done on how game tracks time (this should fix some of the timing/animation issues that have cropped up)
Mac Creator 1.24.40 Fixes:
- Fixed an issue that would cause Creator to freeze when the keyboard input behavior was used outside a rule.
Removed a hidden button.
Windows Creator 1.24.5828 Fixes:
- Behaviors that have an enable ads checkbox now no longer hide the checkbox from non-pro members.
Engine 1.24 Fixes:
- Improved Android performance issues.
- Fixed some logic issues that were brought about by the last release (note: if you’re still experiencing weird behaviors with your project that are new with this release, please let us know so we can fix them).
Mac Creator 1.24.39Fixes:
- Table import optimization pass. Importing tables is much faster now.
- Image reordering fixes for Mac Creator (image library now automatically orders alphabetically).
Windows Creator 1.24.5821 Fixes:
- Network behaviors are fixed and now available on Windows.
Engine 1.24 Fixes:
- Optimization pass on Android engine.It’s now about 2mb smaller and quite a bit faster.We enabled armv7 instructions, which really helps physics heavy games.
- Refactored how we process the main game loop to better handle variable framerates.This should improve physics simulation stability.
- Number pad can now be used on HTML5.
- Actor visibility on HTML5 can be set during runtime.
- Updated Chartboost for Android to deal with Marshmallow OS issues.
Mac Creator 1.24.38 Fixes
- Fixed an issue where drag and drop functionality could cease to work
- Disabled behaviors will no longer hide themselves when a project is loaded
- Fixed an issue where Preview will sometimes only show a black screen or a tiny 10×10 window
Windows Creator 1.24.5802.25480 Fixes
- Fixed physics attributes not being loaded correctly sometimes
- Added a confirmation box when using Save As on an existing directory
Engine 1.24 Fixes
- Fixed textSubStr not working
- Custom Collision shapes are now available in Creator. Please see the Cookbook page for more information: http://help.gamesalad.com/gamesalad-cookbook/7-using-pro-features/custom-collision-shapes-2/
Mac Creator 1.24 Fixes:
- Fixed a crash with copy and pasting actors and scenes
Windows Creator 1.24 Fixes:
- Fixed Audio preview not working
- Native preview graphics requirements have been relaxed.This should allow it to run on lower end hardware.
- Fixed a bug that caused actor selection / manipulation to crash after reverting certain instance attributes to prototype.
Engine 1.24 Fixes:
- Fixed iOS Viewer crashing on second play
- Updated Box2D to 2.3.2 for Custom Collision support and to fix a physics crash with certain projects
- Optimization pass done on changing scenes.You should notice scene changes being faster than before.
- Images should not load / unload as often as before when changing scenes.
- Fixed a bug that caused images to be loaded multiple times when using ChangeImage with some image names.
- Fixed textLength expression function to support foreign characters properly.
- General optimization pass on expressions.They should load and execute faster than before.
- Android performance has suffered a bit. We are looking into the issue and will try to have a fix out as soon as possible.
- Going forward, Web Publishing and the iOS and Android Viewers will now use the engine version instead of the Creator version when determining its compatibility with Creator. Due to this change, the 2nd number in our versioning scheme will represent the current version of the engine (and why this build is 1.23.1 instead of 1.0.1).
- Fixed Android Viewer not sending game stats to Creator
- In OS X 10.11, Creator will now Maximize instead of going Full Screen when clicking the green “stoplight” button on the upper left corner of the window
- Removed “beta” from the Creator .dmg and iOS Viewer .zip
- Further crash fixes and improvements
- When publishing Mac Desktop apps, you can now select whether or not your app uses gamepads with the Uses Game Controllers option (off by default). This should fix the Apple rejection issue for having the wrong entitlements.
- After signing an iOS .app, Creator will now create an .ipa for you if you select “Publish” from the Congratulations! window.
- Updated description for Buzz behavior as it’s no longer iOS only
- Fixed an issue that caused Layers to disappear when changing their order in the Scene layer list
- Fixed an issue with Redo-ing a deletion of a selected actor instance
- Fixed undo of prototype removal causing project corruption
- Fixed issue with actor instances not being restored correctly
- Fixed projects not loading due to bad user settings
- Android apps should now behave better and not crash especially when a custom loading screen is used.
- Android viewer no longer crashes when a Show Banner behavior is triggered
- We now prevent Android devices from going to sleep when GameSalad apps are running
- Removed the “Loading…” text when opening an android APK
- Android now uses 2 letter country code for Device Platform Region
- Buzz behavior now works on Android. Sends a 500ms buzz to the Android device.
- Android back button now throws Esc key (connected gamepads will throw SELECT) if you don’t check “App quits on controller back button” during Web Publishing.
- “Create Keystore” button during android signing now points to our Cookbook URL
- We now force Java tools to return their output in English to fix the issue where passwords were not accepted during Android signing
- iOS binaries are now built against the iOS 9 SDK
- Revmob has been updated to 9.0.4 for iOS 9 compatibility
- Fixed a UI issue when backing out of viewing a Table in Creator
- NOTE: This build still uses 13.41 as its publishing version as it only updates Creator itself. The iOS and Android viewers have to match Creator so they are set to 13.44
- Recent Projects list now works like it’s supposed to.
- Fixed scene editor canvas not displaying correctly until the window is resized on El Capitan
- Fixed a crash when clicking HTML5 Preview in El Capitan
- Fixed an issue where clicking on the Images library caused the scene to stretch in El Capitan
- Fixed not being able to scroll in HTML5 Preview
- When converting audio to .ogg, we no longer strip one of the channels.
- NOTE: This build still uses 13.41 as its publishing version as it only updates Creator itself. The iOS and Android viewers have to match Creator so they are set to 13.43
- Fix iOS code signing not working with Xcode 7
- Fixed Drag and Drop functionality breaking if images were dragged from the Library to the Scene Editor or Actor Inspector.
- Changed iOS version target to 7.0 (also in Web Publishing) Due to this change, iOS 6 is no longer supported.
- Fixed closing all documents on shutdown during “Review Changes…”
- Fixed iOS Viewer not downloading projects in iOS 9
- Reworked notification and undo for layer/actor list window.
- More crash fixes
- Lots of crash fixes and improvements to Creator performance
- Fixed tableSum returning “NaN” when using it with text in Arcade and HTML5 Preview.
- Fixed a number of issues with the Library for Images and Sounds including when replacing existing media in the project.
- Fixed zipalign not being found with latest Android SDK
- NOTE: We have temporarily disabled the broken Undo for adding and removing behaviors in Mac Creator until we can come up with a better system.
- Fixed a crash when using a Timer inside of a Loop behavior. Note: Timers inside of Loops still won’t work as per Loop’s behavior description but this will resolve the crash.
- The Platform attribute “Model” will now return a Mac computer’s model name (i.e “MacBookPro8,2”) instead of the CPU architecture.
- Fixed a crash with RevMob and iOS apps when either Location Services was turned off or there was no network connection
- Updated HTML5 Preview to fix an issue with the TableColSum function not working
- Fixed a crash that could occur when closing a project
- Fixed a crash when attempting to upload a project to Web Publishing
- Fixed a crash with the expression editor
- Further crash fixes and stability improvements
- Added Game Device Platform attributes that you can use to detect the Region, Language, OS Name, OS Version, and Device Model of the device running your app.
- Added a “Missing Asset” image to images in the library that no longer have an actual image associated with it in the gameproj.
- iOS Viewer should once again build on iPhone 6 and 6+ Simulators
- Project Size has been removed (the number that was at the bottom right corner) since it didn’t really work correctly.
- Fixed Request Purchase Data not sending or receiving data. In-App Purchases should now work again.
- Fixed Resolution Independence only loading the lowest resolution images in an app.
- Fixed the wrong images getting deleted in the Images Library when an image is replaced with an image that has the same filename but different case (image.png replaced with IMAGE.png for example)
- Fixed memory leaks with published apps
- Updated icons and graphics for various things inside Creator
- Updated HTML5 Preview to fix an issue with booleans in tables
- Bugsplat now automatically sends crash reports
- Increased general engine stability
- RevMob banner and interstitial ads now work again on Android devices
- Fixed button mapping for Gtron Retro USB Super Classic Controller
- Updated URLs for Help, Report Bug, Tutorials, and the links under Learn on the dashboard
- Added Tutorials menu option under Help
- Added better error detection for crashes
- Removed unnecessary files from iOS apps
- Increased user created table limit to 99
- Fixed numbers larger than 7 digits displaying as scientific notation on iOS and Android devices
- Fixed Animate behavior not resizing correctly in behavior list
- Added additional exception reporting
- Offline mode has been re-added to Mac Creator
- Further crash fixing for importing images
- Updated tutorial link to point to learn.gamesalad.com/your-first-game
- Admob Interstitial and Banner Ads now supported
- Revmob Banner ads now supported
- Path Find behavior added for A-star Pathfinding. Learn more here: https://help.gamesalad.com/hc/en-us/articles/206039217 and video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgQ7io0TwnY
- When moving or placing an actor in a scene with the mouse, the Actor’s initial position is now rounded to the nearest whole number.
- Changed default Display Text color to black
- Fixed player network tables not updating and triggering rules correctly
- Possible fix for crash when importing images
- Updated Chartboost Android and iOS SDKs to 5.5.0
- Updated RevMob Android SDK to 9.0.4
- The Command+Q keyboard command will now quit Creator on login panel
- Removed obsolete monetization service links from user dropdown
- Added hyperlink to Free Trial and Basic subscription statuses that points to the upgrade page
- Various stability and crash fixes
- Added Welcome Screen with a link to tutorials at http://learn.gamesalad.com
- Visual update to login window
- Further improvements to crash reporting and handling
- Fixed a crash with the actor manipulator and Undo
- Fixed a crash when capturing a Project Screenshot
- Fixed boolean table values incorrectly displaying as numbers
- Fixed a crash that could occur when hovering over an attribute name
- Fixed expressions and attributes displaying the wrong text when hovering over them
- Fixed a crash when hovering over an attribute or expression in a rule or behavior
- Fixed a crash when opening a project while a Viewer is active on device
- Fixed keyboard event keys not saving if on-screen keyboard window is used to select the key
- Fixed attribute values reverting to 0 if Enter was not pressed after entering in the value
- Fixed a crash that could occur when selecting an attribute in the attribute or expression editors.
- Added an extra check to no-ad provider builds to prevent spurious warnings
- Updated Revmob iOS SDK to fix iOS rejection
- Added timestamp to Android signing for JDK 1.8 support
- Fixed crash when selecting certain keyboard keys more than once on the Actor Receives Input keyboard popup.
- Fixed crash when re-entering an actor after backing out of it with bad input in one of the actor’s properties.
- Added BugSplat to replace our current crash reporting system. If you experience a crash, filling out the form and sending the report with detailed steps will go a long way to getting crashes fixed quicker.
- GameSalad Creator for Mac is now built with ARC. This should greatly improve performance when using Creator, especially in Mac OS X 10.10 (Yosemite).
- Creator Templates (Insect Intruders, Big Top Blaster, etc.) now have gamepad support built in.
- Import CSV now allows you to select whether or not the data being imported has column and row titles.
- Added a cancel button to the Import CSV drop down box.
- Added a tooltip to Import CSV’s “Types in 1st Row” to better explain this option
- Fixed an issue that was causing the Gtron Retro USB Super Classic Controller to crash Creator.
- Fixed being unable to change the Vertical Anchor and Horizontal Anchor in an Actor’s Graphics settings
- Offline mode now works for 7 days (increased from 3).
- Creator may occasionally crash when importing an image.
- Added an option at publishing to control whether or not the Back button exits the app on Android devices. For Kindle and Fire TV apps, the back button is disabled.
- Fixed the Hibernate event not pausing audio on device sleep or screen saver activation.
- Fixed loading wheels not showing up on iOS 8.0+ devices.
- Reverted the Change Scene fix from 0.13.4RC since it was causing issues with some user projects. If you plan on using gamepad button presses to change scenes, it is recommended that you wait for the button to return back to false before you change the scene.
- Amazon Fire TV support added. You can now publish apps specifically for the Fire TV.
- Fire TV Remote Support option added to Android, Kindle, and Fire TV publishing targets. This allows you to choose whether or not the Fire TV remote is supported in your apps.
- Gamepad support added for Android, Kindle, Fire TV, and Mac Desktop apps
- Supports up to 8 Players via USB and Bluetooth with new Game Device attributes
- Single Player and Multi Player support. Single Player allows every connected Gamepad to act as Player 1. Multi Player treats every gamepad as a unique player. This can be toggled through the “Player Type” Game attribute.
- Gamepad Buttons Supported: D-Pad Up, D-Pad Down, D-Pad Left, D-Pad Right, Button X, Button Y, Button B, Button A, Start, Select, Left Shoulder 1, Left Shoulder 2, Right Shoulder 1, Right Shoulder 2, Left Stick Click, Right Stick Click, Analog Sticks, and Analog Triggers (NOTE: The gamepad button names are only a reference to the standard XBOX 360 gamepad layout. Some controllers will have these named differently but should work the same)
- Keyboard Mapping support with new Keymap Game attributes. You can use these to easily add gamepad support to existing projects that use keyboard controls. Just type in the key for the player and button you want to map. These new attributes can be changed like any other text attribute. (NOTE: We only support one button per keyboard key.)
- Officially supported Gamepads:
- Fire TV/Kindle/Android: Fire TV Remote, Fire TV Gamepad, XBOX 360 Wireless and Wired gamepads, PS4 Dualshock 4, Steelseries Free, OUYA Gamepad, Logitech F310 (X Mode), Game Elements Recoil, NYKO Playpad Pro, and any gamepad made for Android.
- Mac Desktop/Creator Preview: XBOX 360 Wireless and Wired gamepads, XBOX One gamepad (USB only), PS2 Dualshock 2 (with the HVG2 USB adapter only), PS3 Dualshock 3, PS4 Dualshock 4, Steelseries Free, Steelseries 3GC (Red Mode recommended), Logitech F310 (Both Modes), Logitech Dual Action, Game Elements Recoil
- The Fire TV remote is moved down the player list as other gamepads are connected to the Fire TV. This will ensure gamepads with more buttons take precedence over the remote.
- Fixed an issue that caused iAds to appear at the top even if set to show at the bottom
- Fixed an issue with iOS apps where it could hang on start-up.
- Fixed Revmob ads not displaying correctly in iOS 8.1.3
Changes From 0.13.5RC to 0.13.6
- Fixed D-Pad buttons staying active if you roll your thumb across different directions without letting go.
- Fixed a crash that could happen if a button was pressed repeatedly over a period of time.
- It is possible that the gamepad you are using is not supported or acts strangely when used in a GameSalad app. Most Android bluetooth gamepads should work. As well as most gamepads that emulate an XBOX 360 controller. Your Mileage May Vary. Additional gamepads may be officially supported in the future.
- Most gamepads do not support both the analog and digital press of the triggers (L2 and R2). What this means is some gamepads will use the Left Shoulder 2 button (digital) while others will only use the Left Trigger axis (analog). Some gamepads may even use both. Plan accordingly.
- Apps published through the Fire TV target in Web Publishing will only work on the Fire TV. You must specify that this app is only compatible with the Fire TV when submitting to Amazon otherwise your app will be rejected. If you want the app to run on Kindle Fire devices as well, use the Kindle target.
- On the Fire TV, gamepads that have a BACK or SELECT button are usually mapped to the Fire TV back command.
- The OUYA Gamepad’s analog capabilities do not work correctly in Creator. However, they do work on Android devices (including the FireTV)
- Vendor and Product IDs report as -1 on Android, Kindle, and Fire TV.
- Android devices running API level less than 16 (4.1 Jellybean) do not have gamepad support.
- Open URL behaviors and ad services are not supported in Fire TV apps. Ads may show up based on the campaign, but the user will not be able to activate the ad. The Back button will dismiss an ad.
- New in this version is account validation on Creator start. A valid account is one that was created through the GameSalad website, and has completed email validation. If you are having trouble logging into Creator, please be sure you have email validated your account. If you have not, reset your password, and it should validate your email that way. Validating your GameSalad account on start is necessary to access the full suite of features associated with your account permissions. Once you log into Creator using your GameSalad account credentials, you will stay logged in on that machine until you manually log out, so no need to do it every time. Once you have logged into Creator and your account has been validated, you may use Creator offline for up to 3 days before needing to log in again.
- 64-Bit Support added for iOS Apps and the iOS Viewer
- Memory clean-up and fixes for Mac creator. You should now notice decreased CPU usage and memory footprint in OSX Yosemite.
- Fixed an issue that was causing submitted iOS apps to get rejected for not adhering to the new iOS Data Storage guidelines. Please re-generate any iOS apps with this build to fix the issue.
- iAds are only appearing at the top of the screen even if set to appear at the bottom (Bug 688)
- For iOS 8 devices, if you are unable to connect to the iOS Viewer, try shutting down and restarting the device.
- Android devices that use ipv6 will not be able to connect to the Android Viewer over WiFi. Please use the USB connection instead for the Viewer.
- Yosemite and iOS 8 compatibility
- Google Store In-App Purchase compatibility
- New In-App Purchase system and behaviors for iOS, Google, and Amazon
- New selection of GameSalad Templates on the Creator Dashboard
- New iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus game project resolutions for Creator
- Added Resolution Independence support for @3x images
- Added support for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus Custom Loading Images
- Added file encryption for published apps
- RevMob and ChartBoost SDKs updated for iOS 8 and Android
- Fixed Mac App rejections from the App Store
- Removed blank fields on Viewer aspect ratio picker
- Updated Help and Feedback buttons to point towards new URLs
- Fixed Android apps resetting after waking the device up
- Fixed issues with signing Mac Desktop Apps on OSX 10.9.5 or higher
- Updated image loader to try different resolutions as a fallback incase current resolution art is missing
- Fixed screen rotation not working on iOS 8 devices.
- 0.12.10 Build Note: Fixed Network Table behaviors not displaying data when retrieved from a server (only occurred in previous 0.12 builds)
- iOS and Android viewers now support Stretch. Due to this change, the toggle for Overscan has been replaced with a new aspect picker. Tapping the current aspect will allow you to select either Stretch, Overscan, or Letterbox.
- iOS can now write out text to the device log from the Log Debugging Statement behavior
- Updated RevMob and Chartboost to their latest SDKs on Android and iOS
- No more delay after displaying an interstitial ad for RevMob or Chartboost
- Fixed issue with Timers going negative after resuming from a pause
- RevMob ads are now preloaded, fixes receiving a black screen if no ad is displayed
- Fixed Change Scene behaviors in Android apps not working if there was no internet connection
- Fix for iOS In-App Purchase issue where Apple was blocking its own receipt validation server during their App Review process. Now if it cannot reach the Apple validation server, it will use ours instead.
- Fixed number attributes being limited to 1 million in Creator. The limits for each number type are now as follows:
- Real: Raised to 1.7E +/- 308 from 3.4E +/- 38
- Integer: +/- 2,147,483,647
- Index: 0 to 4,294,967,295
- Angle: 0 to 360
- Fixed an error occurring when attempting to change the case of a Table row name (i.e. rowname to RowName)
- Fixed cookbook URL for when there is an app signing failure
- Fixed font rendering on Android devices running KitKat (4.4)
- Fixed Particles behavior causing Change Scene to fail when the actor is not visible
- Chartboost SDK updated to 4.1 for Android to make Android apps that use Chartboost compliant with the new Google Play Advertising ID requirement.
New Pro-only Features:
- Use network behaviors to send and receive data with almost any kind of server. Build asynchronous turn-based games or client-server apps, store data remotely, or sync with your own data server. It’s all possible with new network behaviors.
- Two new cross-platform ad networks (Chartboost and RevMob) mean more ad inventory, more control, more profitable games.
- Extend your branding and design by replacing your device’s native application loading wheel with a custom image sequence of your choice. For Android, if no custom loading wheel is selected, it will now use the device’s native loading wheel.
- Our largest update ever! Over 240 bug fixes and improvements, optimizations and refactors. All of which means a more stable development experience, fewer app crashes, and more tools to help you make great games!
- Display text relative to an actor or a scene with new text display parameters, and enjoy new substring, replace, repeat, and find functions that allow for complex string manipulation.
- New Looping and Loop Over Table behaviors can dramatically reduce the complexity of your projects and increase performance! What used to take dozens of behaviors can now be done with one or two.
- New multi-touch attributes – no longer in the dark as to which touch is being used, you can now identify which of the up to 11 simultaneous touch events is currently active!
- New table related functions will help make table usage even more powerful. You can add several values in a column together or search rows or columns for a particular value with lightning speed in not only development but at run time too.
- Web Preview is now available for all projects, and works more like Creator Preview.
- Web Preview now allows you to jump to a scene, similar to how Creator Preview works.
- URLs for the OpenURL behavior can now be constructed using the expression editor.
- Stretch option now available for games.
- New Buzz behavior allows users to utilize iPhone vibration.
- Android and iOS viewers now display the current version number on the screen.
- You now have the ability to compare expressions within rules.
- You now have two new expressions – round and roundTo in the expression editor. Round will round to the nearest whole number. RoundTo will round to the nearest value in decimal places.
- Change Scene Behavior can now select a scene by index, instead of by name only.
- Support for Google Play apps for Tablet by allowing users to set minimum SDK level.
- Over 240 bug fixes and improvements, including the following major fixes.
- Fixed issues with Apple rejecting apps with In-App Purchases.
- Added support for Android 4.3 and 4.4.
- Fixed attributes resetting to 0 when editing numbers greater than 1000. Disallowed comma entry for numeric actor and scene attributes.
- Fixed Image library issue with removing images after a Replace.
- Fixed Creator Preview crash with large number of particles.
- Fixed images not updating properly in Creator after being replaced.
- Fixed text alignment issues when text is changed.
- Fixed “Change Image” drop down not updating after new images were imported into project.
- Fixed Display Text showing up as black boxes on older Android devices.
- Fixed an issue where apps would crash if the GameSalad Network bar didn’t load correctly.
- Fixed Usernames with spaces causing a “Bad URL” error when attempting to sign an app.
- Actor visible attribute can now be set during gameplay.
- Android now sets the screen size for the device. This should now work like iOS.
- Fixed punctuation in game project filenames causing errors and potentially crashes.
- Fixed text wrapping where it shouldn’t be on Android.
- Fixed several actor instance/prototype sync issues with the Scene Editor.
- Fixed color picker crashing or becoming unresponsive.
- Fixed Android apps hanging when trying to play unsupported audio formats.
- Fixed URL misdirection when iOS apps fail to sign. Now points to the correct Cookbook page.
- Fixed timing issues with Interpolate and Animation behaviors.
- Due to changes in the image loading code we now only officially support 16 and 32 bit PNGs (with or without Alpha), 8 bit PNGs (without Alpha), with a subset of image creation tools and png optimizers. We have done compatibility testing with many of the popular image creation application. Here are the ones we know that work with our new loading code: Fireworks, Photoshop, Inkscape, Gimp, Illustrator. We have unofficial support for Blurizer or Posterizer (using pngnq). We do not support pngquant. Anything that is not on this list is not tested or does not work. These applications are what we are going to support in 0.11.0 for image creation. We do not support other PNG optimizers.
- Viewers do not currently have the Stretch view; this will be coming in a later update.
- Free users must select “yes” to using the Advertising Identifier (IDFA) when uploading their app through iTunes Connect, as well as check the first two Advertising Identifier options. Pro Users will only need to check this option based on whether or not they are using ads in their app.
- To use your projects from an RC build, just rename your .gsrcproj files to .gameproj.
Creator 0.10.4.1No notable changes.Creator 0.10.4
- iOS 7 Support – iOS 7 icon resolutions have been added.
- Xcode 5 Support
- Added JDK 7 support for Android apk signing.
- Removed the publishing fireworks sound effect!
- Amazon Additions:
- GameCircle Achievements.
- GameCircle Leaderboards.
- In-App Purchase.
- Renamed Behaviors – The addition of Amazon GameCircle inspired us to ‘generalize’ the behaviors previous associated with Apple’s GameCenter.
- Platform – Login (GameCenter – Login).
- Platform – Post Score (GameCenter – Post Score).
- Platform – Reset Achievement (GameCenter – Reset Achievement).
- Platform – Show Achievement (GameCenter – Show Achievement).
- Platform – Shoe Leaderboard (GameCenter – Show Leaderboard).
- Platform – Update Achievement (GameCenter – Update Achievement).
- Improved framerate and flawed threading implementation.
- Optimized some Lua memory footprints.
- We’ve updated how the ad bar works in free games. It now takes less memory (1/30th as a matter of fact) and also takes advantage of some new iOS features to make installing targeted apps easier.
- OpenGL Optimizations:
- Faster particle rendering.
- Replicate behavior optimized.
- General graphical performance enhancements.
- Mac Desktop: ‘Enable Glossy App Icon’ does not produce a "Glossy App Icon’.
- Mac Desktop: Selecting ‘Start App fullscreen by default.’ does not start app in full screen, app opens in window.
- Add links to previous versions of the tool to the download page.
- Fix for the viewer incorrectly displaying ram usage.
- User unable to publish Win8 game due to 13 char limit.
Creator 0.10.3No notable changes.Creator 0.10.2No notable changes.Creator 0.10.1No notable changes.Creator 0.10.0No notable changes.Creator 0.9.94No notable changes.Creator 0.9.93No notable changes.Creator 0.9.92No notable changes.Creator 0.9.91
Kiip, Available only in North America (Pro Feature)
#Real world rewards for virtual achievements
Playhaven, Worldwide [Localized to nearby app stores]
#Provides interstitial app referrals
#Option to turn app referrals off (Pro)
#Revenue share for completed referrals (Pro)
- Users can now insert a custom splash screen into their game!
- Clear resolution on submitted Mac App store Icons
- Creating/Editing a Table
- Importing/Exporting a .CSV file
- Referencing a cell value
- Additional table functions that can be used to gather table information. (Helpful when pulling random data from the table allowing the range of values to be highly customizable)
- “tableColCount” is used to get the maximum number of columns in the speciﬁed “table” ﬁeld
- “tableRowCount” is used to get the maximum number of rows in the speciﬁed “table” ﬁeld
- IAP Purchase – Ability to support consumable and unlockable purchases
- IAP Restore – Restore user’s unlockable IAP library
- When deleting a behavior, its associated attribute browser is also removed
- Only one actor tag can be deleted at a time, even if the tag is blank
- Users no longer able to add custom behaviors with scene attributes to actor prototypes
- Android touch accuracy is improved
- Android sound latency has improved
- Game audio no longer continues playing when users receive phone calls.
- Game music continues playing correctly after game resumes operation.
- Android publishing now prevents users from omitting display name by mistake.
- Android publishing now prevents users from omitting version number by mistake.
- Users can clear debug output in the Android troubleshooter.
- Android publishing alerts users if they have not entered a package name.
- Android now supports publishing projects with asset files that use non-basic Latin characters.
- Android now supports the Keyboard behavior.
- Android now supports the Open URL behavior.
- Creator no longer crashes when loading large projects.
- Creator no longer crashes when taking screenshots of large projects.
- Users should no longer receive the publishing error saying that the icon image was invalid.
- Creator remembers the Android Package name between publishing sessions.
- Creator remembers the Android tool locations between publishing sessions.
- Creator now displays additional warnings letting the user know when they need to update information when publishing to Android.
- Creator now only accepts integer values for Android app versions.
- Users no longer receive an invalid app error when updating existing apps.
- Published apps and the Viewer should now work again on armv6 devices.
Creator 0.9.87No notable changes.Creator 0.9.86
- Timer/Interpolation behaviors now work correctly on both Android and iOS devices.
- Stuttering sound issues on iOS should be resolved.
- iPad no longer displays a white screen if user does not include both portrait and landscape splash screen images.
- Scene attribute time accurately reflects scene lifetime.
- Android publishing removes commented behaviors from published apps.
- Published Android apps now accurately show the number of devices that are supported when uploading to the Android app store.
- Ability to publish a game project filefor use on Androidformat devices
- OpenURL has been modified to allow more flexibility in how websites are displayed.
- You can now select between “mailto, http://, and https://”
- With the exception of mailto (which will now properly open up your device’s mail service), you can now specify whether or not to use an embedded browser.
- Checking the ‘embedded browser’ option will display the in-app web browser present in 0.9.82.*
- The exception to this is when you enter in an itunes link – an external browser will always display for these.
- Not checking the ‘embedded browser’ option will display an external browser.
- In-App Browser: Gave player the ability to use embedded browser or external browser
- GS Viewer: Fixed various issues with the Asset Manager causing projects to drastically drop in performance when in specific scenes.
- GS Viewer: Repaired memory leak which was causing projects to eventually crash
- Sound FX: ’Reset Game’ no longer breaks Sound FX volume on Ad-Hoc projects
- Rule Conditions: Otherwise will no longer incorrectly trigger when receiving a “mouse down/up” command that was originally triggered in a previous rule.
- Improved handling of assets on the backend, increasing performance.
- Select which assets automatically pre-load, increasing performance.
In-app Web Browser
- Allows developers to direct players to a URL without leaving the application.
- Audio: Music played in the library will no longer continue playing when the project is closed.
- Behaviors: Deleting an actor referenced in the collide behavior will no longer cause project-wide issues.
- Behaviors: Deleting an attribute referenced in the attribute browser for Change Attribute, Interpolate, and Save / Load Attribute will no longer cause project-wide issues.
- Behaviors: Loading a text attribute without first saving it will no longer display a blank value.
- Behaviors: iAd no longer permanently displays when returning to the scene where it was initially spawned.
- Game Center: The ability to toggle between multiple leaderboards is available again.
- Game Center: “Show Leaderboard” stub displayed in the GS Viewer can no longer be edited using the keyboard.
- GS Viewer: Bowl boy image updated in the viewer loading screen.
- Dashboard: Link on the dashboard now properly points to the Cookbook.
- Expression Editor: Several new functions have been added to include better control for ‘real’ attributes.
*Precision(x,y) – Displays a floating point number with a specified precision (If you call Precision(1.23456, 4), you will see 1.235)
*PadInt(x,y) – Displays an integer with the specified number of digits (if you call PadInt(32,5), you will see 00032)
**PadReal(x.y,z) – Displays a floating point with padding and precision (if you call padReal(9.1234, 15, 6), you will see 0000009.123400)#
- Attributes: “Horizontal Anchor” and “Vertical Anchor” have been added to the graphics aspect.#
*These allow the user to specify where and how the image sits inside the actor.#
*These are only available for “fixed” horizontal or vertical wrap.#
**This fixes the issue where using interpolate when wrap is set to fix would not work as intended.#
- Fixed issue that was causing GS Viewer to continuously add memory to game engine at each scene change#
iOS Keyboard Entry
- Text entry on your iOS device
iOS Clock Time
- Get the current date and time from your iOS device
- Output data into a separate window to give developers details on how their project is performing
- GameSalad Creator
- When publishing you can now open .jpeg images when selecting ‘choose file’ for icons and custom splash screens
- The Game Center ‘Authentication Complete’ message has been removed
- Resetting the game multiple times will now continue to generate random numbers
- Aligned text now rotates with the actor, instead of independently
- All numbers entered in the display text field will now appear as strings, preventing entries like 0032 from displaying as 32
- New scenes will default to the proper orientation mode of the project, instead of always landscape
- Resolved an issue where fixed horizontal or vertical wrap would cause images to look off in the GS Viewer
- Dragging an image into a behavior description no longer causes it to replace to the description
- Edit in GameSalad’ button now opens the correct project when using filters
- You are no longer able to preview a game that contains no scenes
- You are no longer restricted to just viewing 99 scenes in the preview player
- Delete key can now be used for keyboard input
- Duplicate actors will now count towards the actor tag total
- You can now delete actor tags using the ‘delete’ key
- Going to File → New will generate a new game project, instead of just opening up the dashboard.
- Game Center behaviors will no longer cause music to stop playing.
- Fixed crash with projects attempting to publish or preview images with 1 pixel height / width and resolution independence turned on.
- Resolved issue where copying over scenes would cause crash in the preview player.
- We have disabled the ability to copy over scenes from one project to another.
- Users can still copy over actors from projects.
- Importing an image in your library twice and selecting ‘replace’ will no longer corrupt your images.
- Resolved an issue causing games on iOS 3.0 to crash
- Art Assets are available for purchase from the GameSalad Marketplace.
- Easily use your purchased assets in GameSalad Creator via the new Library.
- A new knowledge base tool for GameSalad users to ask and answer questions about GameSalad use and other related topics.
- Actor images can now be flipped both horizontally and vertically through boolean variables found in Attributes → Graphics.
- Users will receive a warning dialogue when their project size exceeds the allowable limit for publishing to certain platforms.
- When publishing to GameSalad Arcade the option to download now defaults to opt in.
- Behaviors now behave properly in the “otherwise” section of Rule Behaviors.
- Fixed issue with publishing not remembering game icons and custom splash screens.
- Scene name in Preview Player now updates properly when selecting a new name.
- Resizing Creator when Game Center alerts are displayed no longer causes crashes.
- Disabled functions are no longer active in HTML5 projects.
- GameSalad Creator now recognizes assets with & in the title.
- Text size now has a minimum value of 1 instead of 0.
- Numerous optimizations for HTML5 publishing.
- Publishing to GameSalad Arcade in HTML5 from the GameSalad Creator
- Previewing HTML5 Games
- HTML5 Advisory Warnings during Publishing
- Resolution independence now saves correctly
- Changing actor color property now immediately updates actor color
- Angular drag now affects angular velocity
- Users can now delete behaviors from the My Behaviors folder
- Improved GameSalad Creator load times when launching on a slow network connection
- Resolved an issue allowing users to exceeded the allowable number of characters in a text field during publishing
- Fixed issues where GameSalad Creator hung while processing multiple clicks on the toolbar
- Users are no longer able to publish without a valid provisioning profile
- User profiles are no longer corrupted if they modify actor prototypes that have actor instances in the scene
- Users with file names that are all numbers (e.g. 0032.png) will now display correctly
- When users delete images, any AnimateBehaviors with a deleted image will update correctly
- When adding an image that has the same name is an existing image in the game project, if the user chooses to uniquely rename the actor, image will rename and display properly.
- When using a rule, users can check to see if an image name contains a string
- When returning from pause, actors will not lose their images.
- When replacing an image in the game project with another image of the same name, any actors using the image will update properly.
- Previously, the Creator was downsampling images and incorrectly using the downsampled images in games on the iPad, leading to incorrect memory reports in 0.9.3. Now, the Creator will only downsample images for projects that are both on the iPhone and have Resolution Independence set.
- Projects with a corrupted asset list would not load properly. Creator now attempts to fix projects that have a corrupted assets list, or will remove corrupted listings so that user can correctly re-add assets.
- Images now correctly appear in the AnimateBehavior view
- Fixed missing images to Table Tennis template
- Game Center Leaderboard behaviors added as Pro behaviors.
- Ability to comment out behaviors and behavior groups to help debug projects.
- Display Text behavior can now allow wrap of text within the actor.
- Memory Leaks fixed to allow longer usage of GameSalad without need to restart.
- Stability improvements included for less crashes during scene preview and GS Viewer preview.
- Display Text behavior alignment options now align correctly.
- Mac App publishing fixed for additional resolutions.
- Fixed .caf sound file crashes on systems that don’t support Core Audio.
- Fixed an issue causing GameSalad Creator to crash when using the Scene Preview
- Fixed an issue that caused the preview bar to remain when it shouldn’t
- Fixed an issuecausing the Scene Preview play button to cause GameSalad to lock up
- Restored Web Preview to its proper working state
- Publishing support for the Mac App Store
- Pause Game behavior behavior added to render a designated scene over the paused scene. The paused scene will not be affected by physics of the overlaid scene.
- Unpause Game behavior added to return to and resume the paused scene and clear the pause scene overlay from memory.
- Warning added when launching GameSalad on an unsupported OS
- Users can create screenshots while in the middle of publishing and no longer need to quit the process to go back to the game and create them.
- Undo functionality added to undo changes to target platforms and orientation
- Undo functionality added to undo the following actions for actors and scenes in the project editor:new, reorder, rename, tag, untag (and delete, copy, paste?)
- Undo functionality added to undo creating new layers, reordering layers, deleting layers, and rearranging layers
- Undo functionality added to undo unlocking the instance behavior in the actor editor
- Fixed an issue preventing custom load screens from being shown for legacy Pro Members
- Fixed an issue causing the GameSalad loading movie to be delayed
- Fixed several issues preventing users’ actors from appearing and/or behaving correctly
- Publishing process will no longer leave screenshots in the project and will not need to be removed manually
- Fixed an issue preventing Replicate behavior from working consistently
- Fixed a bug causing crashes during the running of the Preview Player
- Fixed an issue causing session logout and failure of publishing errors.
- New Publishing workflow for easier publishing
- New GameSalad Loading video for published games.
- Faster game load times for published games.
- New Dashboard Layout: New Dashboard Layout: Manage your portfolio of published games.
- New Dashboard Layout: Templates and shared games now found in the same view.
- Updated scenegraph to increase performance for graphic intensive games.
- Published games will have a faster loading time and short GameSalad loading video.
- Activate Membership option moved to the dashboard as a Login.
- Additional font support for Display Text behavior: American Typewriter, Baskerville, Cochin, Futura, Gill Sans, Helvetica, Helvetica Neue, Zapfino.
- New Template Added: Alien Conquerors
- Spawned Actor instances no longer reusing values of destroyed instance of the same type.
- Continued collision/overlap events from multiple actors of the same type on a different actor now remains true when one of those actors no longer overlaps with the other actor.
- Actor Prototypes and Scenes no longer removed from view when editing the actor/scene name and creating a new actor/scene.
- Dragging an image onto an existing actor while Resolution Independence is enabled resizes actor accordingly at half the image’s dimensions.
- Automatic and manually taken screenshots will take appropriately sized images regardless of scaled view size or partially hidden scene due to monitor restrictions.
- Sound files play more consistently in game play.
- Template Fix: ‘Basic Table Tennis’ now displays the player turn correctly and paddles do not stray from their X positions.
- Template Fix: ‘Crazy Ball Wall Breaker’ now has a paddle that will stay in its Y position and alter the left and right direction of the ball depending on the strike position. Ball also less likely to get stuck.
- Template Fix: ‘Basic Shoot Em Up’ now has a player ship constrained within the view area. Player projectiles now are destroyed on collision with enemy.
- Template Fix: ‘Basic Platformer’ now has a better, more consistent, jumping logic.
- Template Fix: ‘Overhead Car Race’ logic for crossing the finish line improved to ward against cheating by driving backwards.
- GameSalad Creator crash when returning from the Preview Player while it is loading is fixed.
- Mac OSX 10.5(Leopard) no longer supported.
- New Blending modes. Screen and Multiply.
- Updated publishing process to allow app submission via Application Loader.
- Fixed scene loading issues(Progress indicator leaving too quickly and Timer issue)