Shortcat is now on sale! You can purchase a license at a discount while it’s in beta.
v0.7.5 - December 6, 2014
- Last version compatible with Mountain Lion, see blog post
- Added support for Yosemite’s dark menu bar mode.
v0.7.4 - October 5, 2014
- FEATURE: Now supports the Dock!
- IMPROVEMENTS: Improved scoring algorithm based on proximity to element under cursor
- Re-enabled element information popover on Yosemite
v0.7.3 - September 4, 2014
- Disables the element information popover on Yosemite as a bug in Yosemite causes the functionality to break.
- Accessibility permission popup updated for Yosemite.
v0.7.2 - August 30, 2014
- YOSEMITE USERS: There’s a bug in Yosemite that causes an issue with Shortcat. Don’t upgrade yet.
- FEATURE: Element information is displayed when an element is selected or moused over
- No longer reports a keyboard shortcut is taken if it’s not enabled
v0.7.1 - July 1, 2014
v0.7.0 - May 31, 2014
- Adds experimental modal mode. Enable in Preferences
- Use Cmd+R while active to refresh enumerated elements. Useful where it takes time for elements to change (browsers)
- Known issues:
- Modal mode doesn’t resume in some cases due to elements classified as TextFields (Finder’s list view)
- Now requires 10.8 Mountain Lion and above
v0.6.5 - April 6, 2014
- Last version compatible with 10.7 Lion, see blog post
- EXPERIMENTAL: Now supports searching non-Latin languages with Latin queries!
- Example: You can now match “日本万歳” with either “nippon” or “にっぽん”
- Read info at the blog post
- Link element’s Description attribute is now searchable
- Fixed non-Roman language case insensitivity matching issues
- No longer crashes when a shortcut that uses Control is mapped to Escape
v0.6.4 - December 17, 2013
- Fixed a bug where Shortcat would incorrectly use best match from previous valid resultset when there are no matches
- Fixed an issue where Shortcat would not click correctly
- Title elements should be searchable again
v0.6.3 - November 15, 2013
- Fixed a bug where Shortcat couldn’t enumerate within iframes
- Improved check box and radio button clicking
v0.6.2 - November 9, 2013
- Last version compatible with 10.7 Lion, see blog post
- Fix a few random crashes
- Fix crash on Lion when opening up Preferences
- Don’t use discrete GPU
- Using Shortcat to click menu bar icon now works correctly
- Overlay now updates correctly when screen configuration changes
- Element actioning improvements:
- Checkbox and radio buttons are now pressed rather than clicked
- Sliders are now accessible
- Fixed label width in Usage view
v0.6.1 - October 29, 2013
- Fixed broken app issues, apologies!
v0.6.0 - October 28, 2013
- Last version compatible with 10.7 Lion, see blog post
- Revamped engine allows for much faster matching at expense of slower enumeration
- Massive enumeration performance improvement in WebAreas:
- Requires Safari 7 to be installed
- Applies to Safari and apps that use WebViews
- Overlay now restricted to active screen for performance reasons
- Overlay works on multiple screens on Mavericks
- Attempted to make overlay more readable
- Shortcat now works without an active window
- Better text extraction for menu items
- Added opt-in metrics collection
- Please help us out by enabling it in Preferences -> Advanced!
- Details here
- Decreased memory usage
v0.5.3 - September 19, 2013
- Fixed an issue where if you press Return before query completes, it can action the result of an earlier query
- Unresponsive menu bar items should no longer cause Shortcat to stall
- Shortcat should now work with multiple instances of an application
- Remove “Show Dock Icon” as it conflicts with some apps
- Bug fixes for Mavericks
- Remove O, W and I from shortcut letters
- Fixed Name and Email text clipping in License view
- Begin transition to SSL for updates
- Updated support link
- Fix crash when cancelling out of adding a license
v0.5.2 - August 18, 2013
- Title/Label UI elements now link correctly to their labelled element
- Fixes Charts, Shapes, Sections, etc. drop downs in Pages
- and more!
- Add a Force Keyboard Layout feature. Can be found in Preferences -> Advanced
- Role searching now searches subroles! Example: .zoom for the green zoom button
- Add option in preferences to automatically check for updates
- Add option in preferences to automatically download updates
- Fix label wrapping issues on Lion in the preferences
v0.5.1 - July 15, 2013
- Fix a hang/crash on start for 10.7 Lion
v0.5.0 - July 14, 2013
- Shortcat now searches the menu bar
- Added licensing! Buy a license to support Shortcat development!
- Make Control+<key> and Tab/Shift+Tab element selection more responsive
- Add ‘Check for updates’ to menu
- Pressing Control+<key> rapidly no longer triggers Mouse To and Focus functions
- Matching elements with shorter text are now prioritised higher
- Changing screen configuration/resolution no longer breaks the overlay
- Preferences window no longer shows up when activating Shortcat and it was open
- Underscores now tokenises properly
v0.4.3.1 - June 10, 2013
- Fix crash when pressing Tab or Shift+Tab when there are no elements
v0.4.3 - June 9, 2013
- Menu bar icon is back! You can turn it off in the Preferences
- Dock icon is now hidden by default
- Now supports table headers
- All search fields are now searchable
- Cmd+Tab while Shortcat is active no longer activates the previously active app
- Tab and Shift+Tab now cycles through element results
- Help and Description for radio buttons now being searched on
- Fixes some crashes
v0.4.2 - June 4, 2013
- Fixes crash when trying to select an element when there are no results
- Fixes setObjectForKey crash
- Dock Icon is now visible by default, you can change it in the preferences
- Check for known issues at this Trello board
v0.4.1 - June 2, 2013
- Fix hang on startup on 10.7.x
v0.4.0 - June 2, 2013
- Important update! Please read as many things have changed.
- Major interface changes, please read the README for more details.
- Selecting elements has changed: Instead of Space [shortcut], it’s now Control+[shortcut].
- Tapping Control once will move cursor over element. Double tap Control will focus element.
- Scoping via Shift has been removed for now. Needs reworking.
- . now supports element-class searching. .button will only show buttons, etc. See README for more details.
- Preliminary support for non-Roman languages has been added!
- You can now use IMEs in the query field
- Basic matching of non-Roman languages should now work
- Major performance improvements
- Menu bar icon removed. Access the preferences via Cmd+, after activating Shortcat, or launch Shortcat again.
- Added crash reporting. Please submit crash reports!
- Improved usage tracking, see Usage pane in the preferences.
- Reduced memory usage and fixed some memory leaks.
v0.3.13 - March 20, 2013
- Added better usage instructions and some protips to the README. Check out the TL;DR and Protips section
- Fixed a bug where all elements were clicked in top left; Only links are clicked in top left
- Minor tweaks to matching
- Shortcat archive should no longer be bugged with The Unarchiver (thanks to @ziromr for reporting!)
v0.3.12 - March 9, 2013
- Modifiers now work when clicking links
- Clicking links now attempt to click from top left corner
- Extend beta expiry to July 2013
- Engine rewrite taking much longer than expected
v0.3.11 - Feburary 17, 2013
- Extend beta expiry to May 2013
- Currently undergoing significant rewrite for major performnace improvements; stay tuned!
v0.3.10 - December 9, 2012
- Application switch and window change will now deactivate Shortcat
- Extend beta expiry to March 2013
v0.3.9 - December 1, 2012
- Able to use Option-based shortcuts to activate Shortcat
- New menu bar and search icons by @infinityrobot
- Added optimized app icons for different resolutions
- Clicking links within Help menu now works correctly
v0.3.8 - November 19, 2012
- Added ability to mouse over the top matched element by double tapping Control.
- Improved shortcut assignment:
- Fixed a regression where shortcut assignment was not splitting words correctly
- Ignores the scheme in URLs (i.e. ignores http://)
v0.3.7 - November 10, 2012
- Added preferences window
- Added ability to specify shortcut in preferences. Activation shortcut will have been reset. Please change it to your shortcut of choice again.
- Add ability to start Shortcat on login in preferences
v0.3.6 - October 17, 2012
- Added ability to double-click. To double-click, simply double tap Enter when activating an element.
- Overlay is now Retina-enabled. Retina icons are coming soon!
v0.3.5 - October 16, 2012
- Fixes for non-English users:
- Ignore accents when filtering elements
- Strip non-alphanumeric characters when assigning shortcuts
- Allow global keyboard shortcuts to work when Shortcat is active
- Remove semi-opaque border by request from Alfred.app
v0.3.4.1 - September 29, 2012
- Having issues? Please let me know!
- A fix (hopefully) for query field occasionally not accepting input
- Prevent scoping when a query is already in progress
- Bring app to front when showing dialogs
- Beta expiry changed to January 1st, 2013
v0.3.4 - September 26, 2012
- Public beta release
- Activating radio buttons and check boxes now use AXPress rather than rely on hitbox
- Elements with title elements not matching
- Add a help window that shows up once on start. Also accessible via status item.
v0.3.3 - September 21, 2012
- Deactivate on Cmd+Tab
- Fix even-numbered line links not activating
- Sparkle checks every hour
- Visual feedback if no element was found for a query
- Made query window stand out a bit more
- Deactivate on mouse click
- Ignore tiny elements
- Only use title attribute of Links
v0.3.2 - September 20, 2012
- First delta-enabled update!
- Fix spinner spinning when not actually doing anything
- Tweaked colour on focus ring and added rounded corners
- Added border and rounded corners to highlighters
v0.3.1.2 - September 20, 2012
- Added new icon
- Fix for clicking the mouse at its current position
- Updated MacRuby to 0.12
v0.3.1.1 - September 19, 2012
- Actioning an element before enumeration finishes works again
v0.3.1 - September 19, 2012
- Updated Sparkle for delta updates
- Major improvements to responsiveness
- Added progress indicator for when it’s processing
- Enumerating everything within Web Areas again
- Bug fixes and performance improvements for element enumeration
v0.3.0 - September 18, 2012
- Element activation improvements:
- Much more stable shortcut algorithm based on element text
- A query with an element’s exact shortcut will make that element the top match
- No longer need to wait for highlight to use shortcut
- Able to use Space, . or ; as a delimiter to a new query, i.e. <query>;<shortcut>.
- Activating an element with a shortcut no longer activates immediately when doing <query> <shortcut>. Enter is now the only way to activate an element because it allows you to use modifiers like Ctrl, Command, Option etc.
- Scroll area scoping improvements:
- Shortcuts now uses letters based on distance from home row
- Can be used without waiting for highlight
- Enumeration improvements:
- Now only enumerates links within web views by default. You can go back to the old behaviour by scoping to the web view by holding Shift then the shortcut for the web view.
- Fixed incorrect query window and border positioning for some more multi-monitor configurations
- Tweaked scoring algorithm
- Tweaked highlighter colours and translucency for better readability
v0.2.6.2 - September 2, 2012
- Fixed query field not getting input in Lion
v0.2.6.1 - September 2, 2012
- Fixed issue where query field would not take input when activated
- Fixed crash on Lion
v0.2.6 - August 26, 2012
- Revamped control system; No longer steals focus when activated
- Blue focus ring shows what window or scrollable view it’s targeting
- Holding Shift will highlight focusable elements. Simply type the shortcut while holding Shift and Shortcat will scope its search within that element
- Added ability to simply click by pressing Return when query field is empty
- You can now use modifiers when you perform a click, i.e. Control+Return will perform a right click, Cmd+Return will open a link in a new tab, etc
- Fixed a bug where exact matches were not as high in the list as desired
- Performance improvements: No longer hangs when trying to enumerate massive element trees like Tweetbot and web pages
- Alpha expires October 1st 2012
v0.2.5.1 - July 27, 2012
- Fixed link clicking not working in Mountain Lion
v0.2.5 - July 25, 2012
- Mountain Lion compatibility
- Gatekeeper signed
- About dialog now says dialog
v0.2.4 - July 17, 2012
- Added update mechanism (Sparkle)
- All links within WebAreas are always actionable. Searching may be slower with many URLs
v0.2.3 - July 3, 2012
- Added much better looking UI idea from @ileitch
- Fixed Cmd-A
- Shortcut text now bold for better visibility
- Able to change activation shortcut via defaults write com.sproutcube.shortcat activationShortcut "Space+OPTION" for example
- ’;’ will highlight all actionable elements
- Scoring algorithm tweaks. Now matches placeholders.